resources - archive
inherit the earth?
Inherit the Earth?Millennium Development Goals - So Near and Yet So Far
In Inherit the Earth? Barbara Butler, Executive Secretary of Christians Aware, considers the bold aspirations for the future outlined at the beginning of the 21st century by the United Nations - the vision of a better future for the developing world, formulated as the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Undoubtedly the MDGs have helped to lift millions of people out of poverty, save lives and ensure that children attend school. They have reduced maternal deaths, expanded opportunities for women, increased access to clean water and freed many people from deadly and debilitating disease. Much was promised. Many promises made, however, have not been kept.
The original goal for the achievement of the MDGs was 2015, yet as that year looms before us, it is increasingly clear that there is still a long way to go. Undaunted and writing from her own Christian perspective, Barbara Butler also uses stories, poems, images and points of reflection from other world faiths to urge us not to become complacent in our efforts to bring the ideals of the MDGs to fruition.
- For both individuals and groups, in churches, faith communities, colleges and schools.
- Enables readers to reflect on dire situations around the world, to share these situations with others and with God in practical work, prayer and meditation.
- Includes full colour photographs, works of art and illustrations
- Written by Barbara Butler, Executive Secretary of Christians Aware
- Format: paperback 250 x 165mm, 304pp
- Price: £18
Read a review of the book by Alastair Cameron, Chief Executive, Scottish Churches Housing Action. More
Buy online from Church House Bookshop