sense making faith
15 March 2009
Week 3: Journey into smell
Explore how we relate to God and each other through the sense of smell.
For help with downloads look at this guide.
Continuing the journey
- The course is based on a beautifully illustrated CTBI publication Sense Making Faith, written by Anne Richards. There is more material to explore in the book in the ‘Journey into Smell' chapter and you can explore further journeys and ideas in the Explore area of http://www.spiritualjourneys.org.uk/ in the section called ‘Smell'. One of the popular pages there is the account of a herb garden and the kinds of herbs Christian religious communities often planted.
- Learn more about the sense of smell at:
Tutorial on the sense of smell by Tim Jacob, Cardiff University
Smell fact file from BBC Science and Nature
Sense of Smell Institute
- Patrick Süskind, Perfume, Penguin edition 1987.
- Jim Drobnick (ed), The Smell Culture Reader, Berg Publishers 2006.
- Luca Turin, The Secret of Scent, Faber 2007.
- The Daily Service on Radio 4 from March 16th to 19th offers more readings and reflections for you to listen to about people whose spiritual journeys were changed by particular smell experiences.