inter-religious - archive
church interfaith publications
How should Christians relate to those of other faiths? Explore this range of publications available on interfaith related matters produced by the churches. Some can be downloaded whilst others can be purchased from the Churches concerned:
Church of England
Presence and Engagement is the Church of England's national programme equipping Christians for mission and ministry in our multi faith society. It began as a national listening exercise leading to a report which was discussed at the Church of England's General Synod in 2006. A key resource is a growing network of Diocesan Inter Faith Relations Advisers.
The website aims to bring together resources for clergy, congregations, chaplaincies and schools who want to follow Jesus in loving their neighbours of different faiths. Presence and Engagement has been complemented by Near Neighbours , a government-funded initiative managed by the Church Urban Fund .
The website includes a number of interfaith publications :
- Presence and Engagement - a research-based report presented to the 2005 General Synod. It concerns the life and mission of local parishes in multi faith areas. It particularly focuses upon developing strategies for supporting clergy and encouraging theological reflection.
- Sharing the Gospel of Salvation - a selection of case studies of the most vital and innovative inter faith work being done in the Church of England today.
- Bridges and Barriers to Hindu and Christian Dialogue
- Generous Love for All - five year Presence and Engagement plan prepared for a debate at Synod on July 11th 2011.
- Presence and Engagement: Learning Pathways - a manifesto for ideal patterns of interfaith training within the Church of England.
- Local Christian-Muslim Friendship - leaflet illustrating how friendships can develop within local communities through Mosque-Church twinning.
- Theos Report on Faith and Identity - 'Religion and Identity: Divided loyalties?' by Sean Oliver-Dee.
- St Ethelburgas - Spectrum: detailed guide to building inter-religious relationships.
- Anglican Understanding of Mission and Evangelism - Bishop Michael Doe, 2008
Sharing One Hope - This publication from 2001 on the Church of England and Christian-Jewish Relations is still available on the Anglican Communion website
Church of Ireland
The Living with other faiths resource pack provides materials which can be used flexibly - for study evenings and days, and for longer courses, helping churches in different kinds of contexts to minister faithfully, sensitively and effectively in our multi-religious society.
The pack is designed to help you:
- identify Biblical principles for engaging with people and congregations of other faiths.
- develop understanding of their beliefs and sensitivity to their practices.
- work out the best ways for your church to build relationships with other faiths.
The Methodist Church Interfaith resources web page lists a number of Methodist publications as well as some published by other churches/organisations, including May I Call You Friend, Faith Meeting Faith and the booklet Dialogue and Evangelism among people of other faiths (some are available to download in PDF format).
A communion of churches that have signed an agreement to "share a common life in mission and service". These churches are either Anglican or Lutheran.
Porvoo Communion website
Scottish Episcopal Church